Monday, December 7, 2009

the prince

The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.
-Niccoló Machiavelli, "The Prince"
It's strange how a 500 year old book on Italian politics can be so accurate in describing human nature. I guess people don't change much over the centuries. I don't recommend this book unless you enjoy sifting through historical and political rhetoric for anything meaningful. Or you plan on becoming a dictator. I do feel kinda pretentiously smart reading it though.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're reading this willingly. I remember having to read parts of it for a writing 2 class and not enjoying it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sitting on my shelf. And I didn't read it. But somehow managed to pass my Political Theory class. :-D

    ReplyDelete