Monday, February 23, 2009

ambition?

(This post was really hard to write for some reason.)

Dream big. I have learned from a young age to reach for the stars and that hard work and determination are the keys to my dreams. Happiness is found the the attainment of ambitions. If I am esteemed above my peers and exalted for my success, I will finally be content with my life. I should strive to be the best at what I do.

But everything that I have experienced tells me the opposite. It is true that studying hard has landed me a well-paying job, that practicing guitar has made me a decent musician, even that studying the Bible has given me a bit of wisdom. But raging ambition can turn a person into a shell of what they were meant to be. "If only I had this, I would be content."

Lasting happiness is not found by looking for it or by striving for it. The future does not hold the key to contentment. The present does. Living for the next promotion, the perfect relationship, a big break or the ultimate vacation robs us of the joy of living. We need to be still and enjoy each moment for what it is: A divinely unique gift that needs to be treasured and enjoyed.

I know this, but still find myself with many selfish ambitions. It is so easy for ideas to get lost on the journey from our hearts to our hands. When situations are difficult or confusing, it is sometimes beneficial to hope in the future to endure the present, but in doing so we can miss the song that all of Creation is singing at this very second. I want to hear that song and rejoice in it.

...

Security. Popularity. Beauty. Success. Comfort. Success.

Joy. Peace. Purpose. Contentment. True love. Eternal life.

Why are you striving these days?

5 comments:

  1. the future does not hold the key to contentment. hmmm. concur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each moment is made for worshipping! (SCC song) :)

    I think you can live for each moment while still looking forward to the future! Contentment is found in Christ, and He's in the present as well as the future :) He did promise us "plans to give you hope and a future" (Jer 29:11b)

    Good post - Nate-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. improperly titled as ambition...

    but i'm speculating this is the beginning of wisdom...

    if anything remember that all is meaningless (ecclesiastes) :D...

    "A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?"
    ~ecclesiastes 2:24-25

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Annie: Why is it improperly titled? This is what came out of wrestling with my own ambitions. I was reminded of Ecc. though, thanks.

    @Alvina: You are right, I just have a hard time finding the balance between. Too easy to look for the next big thing at the cost of the present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But raging ambition can turn a person into a shell of what they were meant to be. "If only I had this, I would be content."
    "The future does not hold the key to contentment. The present does."

    MM. So true. Thanks for this, Nate - it's a really good reminder.

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete